Wednesday 11 September 2013

Sarah Biddle nee Hollowell

looking for more information about the wife of Adolphus Charles White ,Eliza Ann Biddle 




and her paintings we find a lot of information about her mother .
Sarah Biddle.
Name: SARAH Hollowell was born in 1794 in Gibraltar .
Her second marriage was to John Biddle , a shipscaptain.
Marriage 1830 BIDDLE John ANDERSON, Sarah No Refs - assume Parish Register - St John & Mary, Cardiff Marriage of John BIDDLE, of Orchard Street, Bristol, and Sarah ANDERSON, of Cardiff, by Licence on 20th April, 1830 at St John and Mary, Cardif

Death: 8 FEB 1870 in 33 Oakley Square, Chelsea, London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
Census: 1841 Smith Street, Chelsea, London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
Census: 1851 20 Hunter Street, St. Pancras, London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom 






Census: 1861 18 Royal Avenue, Chelsea, London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
Probate: 15 MAR 1870 London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
Will: 25 MAR 1868 43 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
Note:
Sarah Biddle 15th March 1870
The will Of Sarah Biddle late Of 33 Oakley Square. Chelsea in the county OfMiddlesex widow deceased who died 8th Feb 1870 at 33 Oakley Square. aforesaidwas proved at the principal registry by the oath Of Adolphus Charles White
Of 6 Park Road, park walk, Chelsea aforesaid professor Of music one
Of the executors effects under 600 pounds.
'This is the last will and testament Of me Sarah Biddle Of no 33 Oakley

square Chelsea in the county on Middlesex widow / I revoke all former

testamentary dispositions at any time made by me / I appoint my son

William Henry Hulse Anderson and my son in law Adolphus Charles White

executors Of this my will / I bequeath the following legacies namely to

my son John Mathew Biddle my portraits in oil colours Of his late father

and myself / to my son Thomas James Biddle my oil paintings Of the ship

and the capture Of the Hare / to my daughter Victoria Maria Nickoletts my

small portraits in water colours Of myself and her daughter Caroline

Atkinson / to my daughter Eliza Annie White my plate tea service my large

looking glass my black satin dress and cameo brooch / to my grand

daughter Flora Nickoletts the ring formerly belonging to my late servant

Ellen and the ring given me by my grand daughter the said Caroline

Atkinson and also provided she the said Flora Nickoletts shall at my

decease be in England but not otherwise my gold watch and chain / to

Augusta the wife Of my said son William Henry Hulse Anderson my portrait

brooch Of her husband / to my grand daughter Caroline Pedder my cap

brooch / to Christina the wife Of my grand son Robert Swinhoe my piano

and hair brooch / to Harriet Wrentmore Of 44 Cheyne walk Chelsea

aforesaid my gauze dress or in lieu there Of if preferred by her two

pounds to purchase (mourning ) for me and / to my said son William Henry

Hulse Anderson for his own absolute use my two oil paintings painted by

my said daughter Eliza Annie White / all the ready money I shall have in

the house at my decease the sum Of two hundred pounds owing to me from my

grandson William Swinhoe being the balance Of the purchase money Of eight

hundred pounds agreed to be paid out by him for my interest in no 33

Oakley square aforesaid and all other sums Of money whether secured or

unsecured and which shall be due to me from the said William Swinhoe and

from all other persons whomsoever at the time Of my death subject

nevertheless to the payment out Of such sums Of money Of my just funeral

and testamentary expenses and as to all the residue Of my estate and

effects Of every description whatsoever and wheresoever I give devise

and bequeath the same unto my said son William Henry Hulse Anderson my

said son Thomas James Biddle and my daughter Eliza Annie White for their

own use absolutely in equal shares or unto the survivors or survivor Of

them living at my decease / in witness were Of I have hereunto set my

hand this twenty fifth day Of March one thousand eight hundred and sixty

eight - Sarah Biddle - signed by the said Sarah Biddle as and for her

last will and testament in the presence Of us present at the same time

who in her presence and in the presence Of each other all being present

at the same time have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses the

words "piano and " having been first inserted in the twenty seventh line

Of the first page - J. H. Wrentmore - solicitor 43 Lincons inn fields -

Charlotte Reynolds - 33 Oakley square, Chelsea

Proved at London 15th March 1870 by the oath Of Adolphus Charles White

one Of the executors to whom admon was granted power reserved Of making

the like grant to William Henry Hulse Anderson the son the other

executor'
Sarah Biddles will, 25th March 1868.

Witness - I. H. Wrentmore, solicitor, 43 Lincons Inn fields.

Witness - Charlotte Reynolds, 33 Oakley square, Chelsea.

1. - William Henry Hulse Anderson and Adolphus Charles White appointed

executors
2. - To my son, John Mathew Biddle my portraits in oil colours Of his

late father and myself.
3. - To my son, Thomas James Biddle my oil paintings Of the ship and the

capture Of the Hare.
4. - To my daughter,Victoria Maria Nickoletts, my small portraits in

watercolours Of myself and her daughter Caroline Atkinson.
5. - To my daughter, Eliza Annie White, my plate tea service, my large

looking glass, my black satin dress and cameo brooch.
6. - To my grand daughter, Flora Nickoletts, the ring formerly belonging

to my late servant Ellen and the ring given me by my grand daughter the

said Caroline Atkinson, and also provided she the said Flora Nickoletts

shall at my decease be in England, but not other wise my gold watch and

chain.
7. - To Augusta, the wife Of my said son William Henry Hulse Anderson my

portrait brooch Of her husband.
8. - To my grand daughter Caroline Pedder, my cap brooch.

9. - To Christina, the wife Of my grandson Robert Swinhoe, my piano and

hair Brooch.
10. - To Harriet Wrentmore Of 44 Cheyne walk Chelsea aforesaid my gauze

dress or in lieu there Of if preferred by her two pounds to purchase

(mourning ) for me.
11. - To my son, William Henry Hulse Anderson for his own absolute use my

two oil paintings painted by my said daughter Eliza Annie White.
12. - The estate includes,'all the ready money I shall have in the house

at my decease the sum Of two hundred pounds owing to me from my grandson

William Swinhoe being the balance Of the purchase money Of eight hundred

pounds agreed to be paid out by him for my interest in no 33 Oakley

square aforesaid and all other sums Of money whether secured or unsecured

and which shall be due to me from the said William Swinhoe and from all

other persons whomsoever at the time Of my death'.
13. - After payment Of funeral and testamentary expenses, the residue Of

the estate and effects are bequeathed to 'my said son William Henry Hulse

Anderson my said son Thomas James Biddle and my daughter Eliza Annie

White for their own use absolutely in equal shares or unto the survivors

or survivor Of them living at my decease.
'I. H. Wrentmore solicitors' 
Marriage 1 Maj. Thomas Ajax ANDERSON b: 1783
Children
1.Frances Molesworth Caroline ANDERSON
2.Caroline ANDERSON b: 11 MAR 1808
3.Victoria Maria ANDERSON b: 8 OCT 1814 in Ceylon
4.William Henry Hulse ANDERSON b: 12 JUN 1816 in Trincomalee, Ceylon
5.Louisa Jane ANDERSON b: 17 FEB 1819 


Marriage 2 John BIDDLE b: 1797 Children 
1.John Mathew BIDDLE b: 1 APR 1832 in Westbury, Bristol, City Of Bristol, England/Westbury, England
2.Thomas James BIDDLE b: 18 JUL 1833 in Westbury, Bristol, City Of Bristol, England/Westbury, England
3.Eliza Anne BIDDLE b: 11 JUN 1836 in Chelsea, Greater London, England, United Kingdom (later the wife of Adolphus Charles White .
This information from the Noyes family on internet.



Other information In the national Archives there is a claim by Sarah for a pension.


The following comes from officer's birth certificates, will and personal papers, WO 42/1. In the National Archives, (formerly the public record office). This mainly consists of his widow Sarah, claiming a pension after his death, and of course having to prove the marriage and the children. Did not find T A Anderson's birth date though.

Thomas Ajax Anderson married Sarah Hollowell, 04-May-1807 at Colombo

Julia baptised 10-Apr-1808 at Colombo, born 1807, (child of his first wife, her maiden name unknown)

Caroline, baptised 10-Apr-1808 at Columbo, born 11-Mar-1808

Victoria Maria, baptised 24-Feb-1815 at Batticola, born 08-Oct-1814

William Henry Hulse, baptised 22-Sep-1816 at Trincomalie, born 12-Jun-1816

The same information is in 'widows pensions and bounty' - abstracts of applications 1823 to 1825, WO 25/3089. Record for 1825, they got 12 each (60), as the above record makes no mention of Denvers Wrentmore, who i think, died as an infant, as I have never seen any record of him. Also states that Julia is not living with mother in law, so either is with her mother or if her mother was dead at this point, then relatives.
There are two children from the first marriage, Julia, and Emma, who was born 1804 in Ceylon, I am virtually sure they are the children of Thomas Ajax. In the book by Thomas Ajax, 'Poem's written chiefly in India' published in London in 1809, it is also a google pdf file on the net. Emma and Julia appear a lot, which suggest certainly that his 1st wife was called Julia. Also try 'infant' on word search, seems to suggest two daughters from 1st marriage, and maybe the 1st wife died when the children were very young.

Emma marries a George Higgins in Calcutta, on the 23-Feb-1819, they have three children, all born in Calcutta, she dies in Calcutta, 01-Mar-1836

Emma Higgins, b. 09-Sep-1820
George Edmund Higgins, b. 27-Feb-1822
Charlotte Julia Higgins, b. 1823

Her daughter Emma marries a Charles Grissell, 12-Sep-1842, at Agra, (the name grissell turns up as a second name in the children of Victoria Maria Anderson and William Hamilton Nicholetts).

The following comes from the Ceylon Government Gazette, deaths, for 1816, have never found a birth date.
'At Trincomalie on the 23rd June, Frances Molesworth Caroline, third daughter of Captain T. A. Anderson, H. M. 19th Foot'

Sarah Hollowell, although the records seem to say she was born 'aboard in Gibraltar' from 1861 census. Have never proved anything, she must have been very young when she married Thomas Ajax.

The family left Ceylon in September 1816, on the ship Alexander for Mauritius and England, arriving in March 1817. They set up home in Chelsea, London. They had one more child.

Louisa Jane was born 17-Feb-1819 in Chelsea, at some point the family moved to Wales.

Thomas Ajax, died in Cardiff, Wales, 08-Feb-1824

Louisa Jane died in 1829 in Cardiff.

On the 20-Apr-1830 Sarah Anderson remarried, to a John Biddle, in Cardiff, who was a ships captain. They went on to have two sons and a daughter.

John Mathew, born 01-Apr-1832 in Bristol

Thomas James Biddle, born 18-Jul-1833 in Bristol

Eliza Anne Biddle, born, 11-Jun-1836 in Chelsea

Both sons, were doctors, and died rather young in their forties, the daughter, Eliza Anne, married a George Douglass Barber, 19-May-1857 in India, he did not survive the 'Indian Mutiny' but Eliza Anne did at Lucknow, she later remarried a Adolphus Charles White, on the 17-Mar-1864, in Chelsea.
Both Sons had children, although Eliza Anne did not, and have found no evidence of any.

Sarah Biddle, died in 08-Feb-1870 in London, her death certificate has her age as 76, so born in 1794, married at what 13?. Even found and tried to read her gravestone, but no new information unfortunately. The shipping record for her and family travelling round and leaving Ceylon in 1816 does have a Miss Hollowell, travelling with them, but only from Trincomalee to Colombo and not any further, presumably her sister, but have never come across any other record, naming her.

The baptism of James Henry Kriekenbeek, 05-Dec-1844, witness a certain Mrs Sarah Biddle, nee Hollowell, in England, don't know what to make of this, but anything is possible.

Below is from the British Library

LIST OF INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES AND MONUMENTS IN CEYLON, OF HISTORICAL OR LOCAL INTEREST, WITH AN OBITUARY OF PERSONS UNCOMMEMORATED

By J. Penry Lewis, C.M.G. Ceylon civil servant, retired
Nevrang in collaboration with Lake House bookshop 1993

Colombo
1528. - September 13, 1808 - James Hollowell.
Lieut. James Hollowell, 2nd Ceylon, Regt.,
2nd Lieut. James Baillie's Regt. (3rd Ceylon), 13th Augt., 1805.
Lieutenant Hollowell belonged to Wexford. He had a son, James Hollowell, who was also in the 2nd Ceylon Regiment, 2nd Lieutenant 1811-17, and Commandant at Chilaw in 1818, and a brother (?) Lieutenant William Hollowell, 3rd Ceylon Regiment. Lieutenant James Hollowell, married at Galle, in 1811, Catherina Adriana Fybrandsz, who was born in 1787 and died December 13, 1858, at Jaffna. Their daughter, Amelia, married James Thomas Anderson, junior, son of James Thomas Anderson of Jaffna.

There were a lot of family connections between Swinhoe, Biddle, Anderson and the Day family in England. It at times does seem to go round in rather large circles. Have more info in anyone in interested. Been doing this for a number of years, although a lot more info is on the net now.

Have never joined T. A. Anderson or Sarah Hollowell, to any contemporary relative of theirs. Which is odd, because usually they turn up, on a census looking after the others children, getting educated in England. Or maybe as guardians of their children. Thomas Ajax died in 1824, aged 45, so probably born around 1779 in Scotland, which the poems suggest was his birth place. He was I would suggest quite a character, that's from reading the poem's. The other two books were, 'A wanderer in Ceylon' published 1819, and 'Leave of Absence' published in 1824.

Caroline Anderson married a Robert Swinhoe, 28-Feb-1828 in Calcutta, I am related to him on my mothers side.

No comments: